
Pledging CU’s Future
In December 1874, Boulder businessman and politician James P. Maxwell pledged $250 to the University of Colorado Board of Trustees to help establish a university in Boulder. As designated on a promissory note (pictured), the money would come monthly in $25 increments.
Maxwell, who moved to Boulder in 1870, was one of 104 individuals and organizations who donated money to create the state’s flagship university. The Territory of Colorado (statehood was still two years away) offered a $15,000 match to citizen contributions. In all, Boulder residents — including bankers, mine owners, ranchers, watchmakers, butchers, teachers and even a grave digger — contributed more than $16,650, equivalent to roughly $482,000 today.
In June 1875, the trustees chose architect Erastus H. Dimick’s design for the university’s first building: a four-story stone and brick structure with ample windows, Gothic details and spires, a slate tile roof and a bell tower. During his short stint in Boulder, he also designed several local homes, a school and the original First Baptist Church before moving to Leadville, Colorado.
Old Main was completed in 1876, the year of CU’s official founding. Students climbed its stone steps for their first classes the following fall.
Photos courtesy of Museum of Boulder Collection (headshot); Carnegie Library for Local History; Âé¶¹Ãâ·Ñ°æÏÂÔØBoulder Libraries’ Archives (on longtime loan to the Âé¶¹Ãâ·Ñ°æÏÂÔØHeritage Center).


